Friday 22 February 2008

Busy P




Q.You are probably one of the most influential people in European dance
scene from the late 90's until now.How does this make you feel?Please
share with us briefly how did you catch up with Daft Punk and how the Ed Banger thing started?


It's a responsabillity and i like it. Music is my passion so i don't
have to force myself.
I met Daft Punk in 1995 in a record store in Paris. We decided to work
together in 1996. We were 20 years old when we started, we did not know
anything about music business.
I have learn all i know during those Daft days.
In 2003 i created Ed Banger records in order to prpush new kids from
France. I did not make any business plan. All i wanted was to put out
records that you can dance and laugh with.


Q.I will always remember you giving me one of the very first promotional
copies of Waters of Nazareth 12'' at Bestival's backstage 2005.That
night you and Justice djed in a small crowd. A few months later everyone
was talking about the Justice's sound and a couple of years after they
sold out massive venues. What is your participation to this hype and to
this sound ? and what are the elements in your opinion that made this
sound so big in 2007.


I don't try to make any hype, that's the thing.
Again, i don't plan anything. All i do is waking up in the morning happy
to run to my office and i go to bed with a big smile on my face.
We maybe bring back a bit of fun in electronic music. Modern music was a
bit too pretentious, trying to be revolutionary...


Q. Which is your favorite place in Paris and what's your connection with
Collete?


I like my town of Montmartre in the north. It's a mix crowded area. We
all live together, that's the key.
My wife is head of communication for Colette. So i know the team for 10
years. I love their vision. They always have good ideas.


Q. What's your opinion for the blog house scene that turned massive last
year. Who are your favorite blog djs and which are your top music blogs?


I read spinemagazine.com and pitchforkmedia.com everyday
I like the Fluokids too.


Q.Do you feel that you and your Ed Banger gang are any responsible for
this 90's revival? I've seen you wearing that Kurt Cobain t-shirt a few
times and last summer you were all into 90's dance anthems.Why did you
pick on 90's?


70's were the year we were babies
80's were the year we were at school
90's were the year we start to handle our lives


Q. Traveling and djing all the time sometimes must have been a bit
bored. What do you do when you are not in a party mood but still you
have to make it happen?


Luckily i am always up to party! Give me some Ouzo and i rock anytime
hahahah


Q.It seems that you are a kind of gadget and kool things collector.
Which are your latest favorites?


I'm into football scarf at the moment.


Q.Are you planning a new solo album and what the future holds for Ed Banger?

I'm working on "Pedrophilia" my next single at the moment. I plan to do
an album in 2009.
In 2008 we have lots of releases. New Sebastian, new Mr Flash. Albums
from Uffie, DSL, Sebastian, Mr Oizo and a new Ed Rec vol III compilation.


Q.What's your opinion in digital downloading? Do you (by any chance)
have in mind in what form the next Daft Punk album will be released?


I download a lot. I pay my music on itunes or Beatport. Daft Punk should
put out the album on digital only... But we have time to talk about that...


Q.Are you planning for your label as well a new way of pushing your
music to the people and sell it at the same time?


I don't really like to plan, i prefer to do stuff.
Major companies planned and finaly realise they were wrong. I prefer my
label to live in 2008 and react with the tools of today.


Q.According to my statistics Justice's album and the whole Ed Banger
sound did not become that commercial in terms of record sales in Greece,
but still in our parties everyone is dancing to your sound and singing
along your tunes? Do you have any idea how and why this is happening? Do
you thing that you are affected from illegal downloading in other small
countries as well?


This is 2008. Record sales are not the point anymore. I prefer to sell
small amount of records in Greece but sold out a show for Athen kids. We
tried to put out an album with a nice artwork and a crazy cross shape
(ref : the limited edition CD) but maybe Greek kids wanted something else.


Q. Give us 5 music tips and 3 cultural tips for 2008 and then make a
list of your top 5 djs and records at the moment?


Music tips :
The Kills
MobbDeep
Snoop Dogg
Midnight Juggernauts
Surkin

3 cultural tips :
Footbal scarf
Peace
French movie director Romain Gavras


Q.Finally, (just for traditional reasons of net interviewing) tell me
what do you expect from your gig at Athens?


I want the boys to stage dive and sweat, and the girls to cry. I can't
wait!!!!

Busy P & Dj Mehdi @ Club 22. 01/03/08.

MySpace

No comments: